The Trump administration announced on Mar. 31 that it would extend Title X grant funding for another year to Planned Parenthood, a decision that drew strong criticism from pro-life organizations.
Title X is a federal program supporting family planning services. The fourth year of its current funding cycle ended March 31, with the fifth round beginning April 1. While the administration had previously frozen $27.5 million in grants to groups including Planned Parenthood during a review of diversity and inclusion programs, it quietly released the funds in December after legal pressure from the American Civil Liberties Union.
White House spokesman Kush Desai said in a statement provided to OSV News that “the Trump administration has issued the fifth and final year of Title X grants that were locked in place during the Biden presidency.” Desai added, “The Administration faced significant legal challenges in stopping any of these dollars from going out,” noting that law prohibits using Title X funds for abortion and stating, “HHS will soon be releasing a new Title X funding opportunity for the next five-year funding cycle that prioritizes life and promotes the pro-family agenda.”
Marjorie Dannenfelser, president of Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America, called the decision “an inexplicable slap in the face to the pro-life GOP base.” She said, “Funding Planned Parenthood means propping up a business whose main purpose is to end the lives of innocent unborn children.” Dannenfelser also described this as part of broader actions by the administration she believes could damage Republican support among pro-life voters: “Three out of four GOP base voters support defunding Planned Parenthood. One third of those voters say they’d be less enthusiastic about voting this November if the GOP abandons pro-life policies.” She pointed out that previous Trump policy barred such funding: “a clear abandonment,” she said.
Other leaders echoed these concerns. Jennie Bradley Lichter, president of March for Life, wrote on social media it was “absolutely maddening” for HHS to continue funding an organization she described as focused on ending human lives and delivering substandard healthcare when abortion is not involved. Kristan Hawkins, president of Students for Life Action, questioned whether compliance with regulations should mean continued funding while reviews are pending: “So let me get this straight…Title X funds would go to all of the abortion vendors who did paperwork while we wait for regulation review,” she said.
Planned Parenthood’s website states its health centers are proud participants in Title X and warns against blocking access through this program because it risks patient health and safety.
Dannenfelser also criticized recent moves by federal agencies regarding medication abortion access across state lines and highlighted President Trump’s comments about possible flexibility on public abortion funding restrictions during negotiations over healthcare subsidies.
The Catholic Church continues to teach opposition to direct abortion while calling attention post-Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization decision for more robust social supports addressing causes leading women toward seeking abortions.


